Saturday, May 29

My Left Foot


Every morning I feel really guilty about the attention that I give to my left foot.

You know the process we girls go though after just getting out of the shower, ie. applying deodorant, maybe talc or fragrance, and smoothing in moisturizer, maybe into our hair or into our skin.

Well, after all that, I sit on the side of my bed and moisturize my left foot. Since my early twenties, my left foot has always been a bit dry and if left as is, can get pretty rough. My right foot is fine, smoothed skin and soft as butter. But the fact that my feet are two different textures trips me out and upsets me over the injustice!

Of course I’m not in a rage over the injustice of having one rough/one smooth foot, but the fact that the left, rough one gets the lotion makes me angry!!

Have you ever heard the phrase ‘the loudest chirp gets the worm,’ - as when a mother bird feeds her babies? Or ‘the squeaky wheel gets the oil,’ or any term along this line? Do you not find these sad facts of life downright rotten?

Why can't the quiet birdies get a worm too? Why can’t the wheel that doesn’t squeak get a squeeze of that oil? And why can’t my good foot, that doesn’t itch me at night, and doesn’t snag on my sock as I’m pulling it off, get caressed and massaged with Vaseline Cocoa Butter Deep Conditioning Lotion!!

The bigger picture. The things we do. The way we think. And we know it’s wrong. We reward bad behaviour. We give ear to a bit of gossip. We pass along a bit of bad news, while good news dies at the second person. We complain to the manager about the snotty waitress, but the great waitress’s manager hears nothing about her. Certainly this doesn't apply to all people, but a lot of people indeed.

So should I caress and moisturize my good foot just because the dry foot needs it? I’ll admit I tried that, and realized that it uses up too much lotion, it eats into my time, and it doesn't make a difference to the good foot anyway. And that’s what I’m upset about, how easily treating the good one nicely can fall by the wayside.

(And I guess you can say these feelings are hightened by growing up with a bad behaving older sibling, and yet, the behaved one (me) also deserved, wanted and needed attention). I know it sounds funny to say, but I can relate to my own right foot.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

Hi Eve! Those socks are awesome! Just found your blog and have read back a bit. Very excited to hear you're thinking about adoption! Hubby and I are being assessed right now. It's been a bit of a pain, but still exciting. Look forward to finding out how you get on. Blessings!

Are These Kids All Yours? said...

A good correlation.

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

If it makes you feel any better, My Left Foot with Daniel Day Lewis, is one of my all-time favorite movies. LOL

Eve said...

Hello 'ATKAY'
Thanks for visiting my blog. I was hoping the correlation I was making was clear, it something on my mind when thinking about raising children too!
****************************

Hello Cathy,
Thanks for visiting Eve's House. Visited your blog and you give so much helpful information on adopting! Blessings to you too, and your adoption process!
*******************

Hello KMQ,
You are so funny, do you know that I've never seen that movie! heehhheee. Thanks for visiting me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...