Tuesday, June 22

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

This song is one of the most beautiful love songs I've ever heard!
My husband brought it to my attention a few years ago that a man wrote this song for the woman he loved. I'll admit, I couldn't believe it. Ashamedly, I assumed, seeming like such a sentimental, emotionally driven song, that it was written from a woman's point of view. Dead wrong.

Can you imagine? Can you imagine your love writing a song saying that he/she knew the joy you shared would fill the earth? Wow! (I go gushy, face in hand).

Ewan MacColl (1915-1989) was a British folk singer, songwriter, poet and actor. Folk music was his main thing. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face was originally a folk song, set to a faster pace than how it's known today. In fact, it's said that MacColl hated the slower versions done of this song, such as the way Roberta Flack recorded it.

Image from Citylife.co.uk 
                                                                                                    
Roberta Flack recorded MacColl's song in 1969,  and took it to the top of the Billboard chart in 1972.

And she won a Grammy for her trouble: Record of the Year.
And MacColl won a Grammy for Best Song of the Year.

So many recording artists have covered this song, from Isaac Hayes, Celine Dion, Aaron Neville, to Elvis! And tons more.

MacColl's family states that the the Songwriter disliked mostly all versions done of it, Flacks included. But he sure didn't turn down his Grammy for her version. Hahaaa, guess he learned to love it!

I've heard several artists' renditions, and while Flack put this song on the map for me, Leona Lewis brings tears to my eyes when she sings this song so tenderly. It's the BEST! Have you heard Leona's version?


(Click video for visuals)







The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face :

The first time ever I saw your face
I thought the sun rose in your eyes
And the moon and the stars were the gifts you gave
To the dark and the endless skies, my love

And the first time ever I kissed your mouth
I felt the earth move in my hand
Like the trembling heart of a captive bird
That was there at my command, my love

And the first time ever I lay with you
I felt your heart so close to mine
And I knew our joy would fill the earth
And last till the end of time, my love

The first time ever I saw your face
Your face, your face, your face

Just beautiful!

(What's your favorite rendition?)

19 comments:

LESAPEA MUSINGS said...

ROBERTA, ROBERTA!!!!!!! Thank you so much for the music HUN.

Luv Lisa

mangocheeks said...

I agree with Lesapea.

Roberta - Roberta - Roberta!

waitingarms said...

Actually I had never heard the song, but the words are beautiful. And yes, it seems surprising that a guy could get that deep! Oh that our children could get to enjoy contemporary music with a little depth! We have come a long way if today, the best that music has to offer are odes to flashy cars, mansions, bling and just how bad the girls are!

Stephanie said...

GREAT song! Never heard the Leona Lewis version before, but loved it. Of course, Roberta is classic.

Eve said...

Roberta seems to be tops with this song. I do love her voice and this rendition especially. Elvis kind of took it to a different planet, I love his rendition too. :D

I totally agree, 'Waitingarms' that a lot of popular music today is pretty vain, raunchy and I'd even say same-ish. Should there be a huge difference between what parents won't allow their children to listen to, and what they allow themselves to listen to?

Dom said...

Wonderful song indeed! Roberta Flack's version is tops for me. Enjoyed hearing Elvis's version too; hadn't realised he'd covered it; thanks for that.

Sara said...

Mmmm, I love chocolates and good music. I might just have to stay awhile.

Delighted to meet you today. I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you better. This looks like a delightful place to slip off my shoes and splash around.

Splashin,
Sara

ruthy ann said...

wow...what beautiful lyrics!

BTW, thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. hope to see you around the blogosphere! :)

Courtney said...

Ah, I love this song! Isn't is amazing how a song can make you feel so lovely?!

Loving The Reflection

Deborah said...

Who are the women in your picture at the header of your blog? That picture looks like a very interesting story...

Eve said...

Yes, it is great how a song can make you feel lovely and goose pimply :D

Thank you all new visitors for stopping by, I love meeting new folks and am having a blast sharing posts with everyone :D

Eve said...

Hi Deborah!
Thanks for asking about my header pic. That's my Grandmother in the car, with her friends by her side, in New York in 1920. I never got to meet her but I often wonder if I take after her in anyway?

Kerry said...

What a beautiful blog! So glad that I stopped by today. Your post on KFC just made me laugh out loud so I may be here to stay...

Cheryl Lynn said...

I will always love Roberta's version, although many of them are beautiful. That is a very interesting fact about that song.

Glad I came for a visit. Hope you have a wonderful evening.

Mrs T said...

The lyrics are so sweet. Love your header photo too - even more now I know it's your Grandma!

P.s. Thanks for stopping by my blog

Dom said...

I can tell you for a fact , babe, that look your Grandmother has in that picture, you have that look. : )

Faith said...

OMG!! Thanks for finding my blog!

I love Leona's version the best too! It's such a great song! :)

cheeky curves said...

I agree it is a beautiful beautiful song, but it has to be Robertas' version.

Billie Monster said...

I too love this song and have for years! I think I would melt if someone wrote a song like this for me. :OP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...