Thursday, June 10

Getting My Quiche On

Quiche is big in this country! I've never seen so many varieties as I have living here in England.


But for many years, possibly ten, I've been creating my own home made Spinach and cheese quiche straight out of Brooklyn. And it's absolutely delicious! It takes very basic common ingredients and can be quickly thrown together. So if this looks good to you, here's my how to:

Ingredients:
2 cans of spinach
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
4 to 5 cups of graded mild cheddar cheese
1 bag of shortcrust pastry mix (or flour and butter to make your own crust)

1. Place spinach in a bowl and microwave for 4 minutes. Stop to stir mid way. When finished strain as much water out of the spinach as you can, and set aside to allow cooling.

2. In a large bowl crack 2 eggs, add the garlic and pepper and beat it like it stole your coin purse.

3. Grade enough cheese to fill 4 to 5 (depending on how cheesy you like it) tightly packed cups.  

4. Stir together the egg mixture, cheese and spinach.


(If your spinach is in large pieces, cut it up before adding so that it's not stringy, nothing like sucking spinach strings from between your teeth while trying to look cute in front of your man.)

To prepare the crust you can make it from scratch. Or use half a pack of pastry mix to make one pie bottom

 

5. Roll the dough like you're rolling your burdens away. Pinch a bit off and set aside for a bit of decoration.

6. Lay your dough,  and with a fork poke holes in the bottom - I found this makes the crust flakier.

7. Place your spinach and cheese mixture into the dish.
(Here's where you can be creative and add whatever your mind comes up with, such as cooked sausages, fried onions, etc.)

With this pie, I halfway filled the dish then sprinkled it with chopped ham slices I found at the back of the fridge. Oh yes, Eve is going to work with what she's got. :D Then I placed the rest of the mixture on top.

Remember that piece of dough you set aside? Remember elementary school art class?
8. Roll the small piece of dough flat, then sculpt and carve something cute, like a leaf or a happy face etc. This makes your pie look like you're a culinary expert who knows what she's doing. Ssssh ;)

9. Bake at 375 degrees F = 190 C,  for 1 hour covered with foil. For the last 15 minutes remove foil. Allow pie to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing to serve. Eat a slice for lunch or as the main veg with dinner.   
  
Here we have Yummy Cheese and Spinach Quiche!!! after my family got to it, the first time round :D

This has been Linked at the following sites

http://terelauritsen.blogspot.com/
http://terelauritsen.blogspot.com/
http://www.thegirlcreative.blogspot.com/
http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com/

13 comments:

Uma Preve said...

Looks so delicious! Can I have some? hahahaha! You are good in the kitchen. Nice. Now I feel like showing my skills too! hahaha! Thanks for sharing Eve! I might try this out when I know how to make a crust! Do you have a recipe for that?

Dom said...

Let me tell you, folks - it sure was gooooooooooooooooood!!!

Eve said...

Hi Uma!

Sure, drop on over to England for a slice! hehee. I CANT WAIT to see your cooking skills. I dare ya! :D

Yup, to make flaky crust you can cut cold butter into flour with a cold butter knife. Touch as little as possible to keep it cool.

1.5 cups of all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of cubed butter
3 or so tablespoons of cold/ice water
and For a sweet crust, add a bit of sugar

Avoid adding things like cinnamon, you'd be surprised how much a pinch can darken your crust and make it look burnt when it's not.

Also, you don't have to fret over how cold the water is if you are going to wrap the dough in cling film and place in the fridge. Doing this makes it less sticky and easier to roll and lay anyway. I've found.

OR you can buy a bag of pastry mix and just add water. heheee LOL :D

The best crust is by trial and error I think. Sometimes really good cooks can get it wrong. Happy crusting!

Eve said...

Hiya Dom!
Thanks boo, and you know it's your turn to cook tonight. LOL

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

That looks delicious!! I love the photo on your header!!! Found you from Debbiedoos..looking forward to checking out your blog.


heather

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

I'm your newest follower too!

Tere said...

Looks delicious! Thanks for linking up at PonyTails&FishScales!

tere

Eve said...

Hello Heather, and Welcome! Thank you for your wonderfu comment and complement. Happy to have you here!

**************************

Hello Tere! I love your site and feel very privileged to be featured on it with my quiche. Thanks for visiting!!

mangocheeks said...

NO kidding, Quiche is big in the U.K, but not always good, as supermarket ones tend to be more eggy and less of the vegetable filling it promised. Unlike yours that is postively green. Still liking the dish even though you decided to sprinkle ham on it halfway. I like the decorative touch too.

Eve said...

Thanks Mangocheeks, yes, the eggy type I'm not all that crazy about. Just personal taste, just like the ham, I personally love it. Yes, the decorative touch is cute, isn't it? Looks all chef like.

Faith said...

I know your hubby is loving your skills! That looks amazing! I wish I could have a taste!

chocoholic said...

I love quiche. Its on my "learn to make" list

Evon said...

Ooooh, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Quiche! I only know how to make two kinds (for now) but I love them! Spinach is by far my favorite! Looks yummy and that detail on top is adorable!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...