Thursday, August 19

Mirror Makeover - Inspire My Spirit

I love this project!! Do you remember those two cheap mirrors that I paid £1 for at car boot? Can you say FUNKY REDO?

The Funkiest of Redos!
Two basic mirrors with wood around them, painted white with pink cupcakes.  Yuck!

Don't get me wrong though, I do love real cupcakes! :D

But these mirrors, as they were, weren't really to my taste, so I painted the first one back with Acrylic paint. As you can see, my sewing machine is right there also, because my creative space is so small, I can only use the edge of my kitchen table to work. :D (enter your jealousy here)

I tend to horde old Ebony magazines, but decided to use some for my mirror project. I was determined to make something inspiring! :D  
  

I cut out all the pictures that I could find of women with a certain look. I wanted to feature an afro hairstyle or a natural, simple lowcut style. These women where to inspire me to keep up with my own afro hair style that sometimes challenges me.

  I wanted the pictures to be rough edged so I carefully tore around the images with my two fingers.
 
 I manoeuvred them around the mirror, seeing what worked best. Not all of them were keepers. I then glued down the ones I felt were perfect.
 

 Hmmm, something feels missing, I thought. There's a certain vibe that I want when I look at the mirror. A unique individuality vibe! And with that, I knew just the person who should grace the top spot!!!


 Fabulous Model Nikia Phoenix!!!!

She's so gorgeous! She's one of the most uniquely talented models out there! She's smart, opinionated, speaks out on the ills of her industry, uses her strength to the pinnacle, makes clothes look like a million bucks and screams confidence!

Have you ever seen her?

She's quite hard to forget!


Nikia's industry is plagued with cookie cutter images, many runway models look the same, and many designers and casting agents like it and prefer to keep it that way. Nikia's look is very different. She has a freckled face, unique features and a killer, ripped body. And guess what, she's a nice person too.

How do I know?

Because I didn't have a magazine picture of her, but desperately wanted to include her on my mirror. So I did what I thought was right, and asked Nikia if I could use one of her own blog pictures, and she said yes. That's right, I said I ASKED HER, and SHE SAID YES!!!!   :D

She is so nice, she said she's looking forward to seeing what I do with my mirror!! Check out Nikia Phoenix's blog,  it's awesome!!  Model Liberation is so informative, fun, serious, heartfelt, fashionable, stylish and not at all boastful. She has a very beautiful spirit about her. 

So rightly fitting, I've decided to call my mirror Inspire My Spirit!


To make it really personally me, I gathered all the things I like; lace, beads, buttons, jewellery, stickers, fabric flowers, and dried grass weeds. I brought out the hot glue gun, wires, and white screw hooks that I found in my husbands tool box (To all my artsy sisters, I advise you to raid your man's tool box every now and then, you could find some nice items in there.) 

 Ladies, do you ever look in the mirror sometimes and not like what you see? Is there something physically about you that makes you stand out from other people? Tough going? When I see Nikia I think of doing my own thing, not letting anyone stop my flow, being who I am, knowing what my strengths are and going for it!

Pictured below is my new mirror that hangs on my bedroom wall. I love it and am so happy with the end result. It's very useful as I can hang some of my necklaces, bracelets and earrings on it. It hangs over my Mother's old mantel piece that I had shipped to England from the States. 



Hmmm, now what should I do with my hair today?
Uh oooh, I'm getting ideas.  But would it work? Well, if I don some funky jewellery with it, I just might end up hot! Oh yes, this is working. So glad I purchased this wide toothed comb.




 

I'm just going to do me, and be the best me I can be.

 Thank you all for reading this post.   ANd thank you Nikia. You inspire me to enjoy uniqueness and individual style.  ~ Happy Weekend Everybody!

psss... want to know what I did with the other mirror?

60 comments:

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

This is such a wonderfully playful post. By the way I am fixing my afro too. I love your afro - looks so healthy and strong. Mine needs to grow a bit longer. Your necklace is very pretty, too;-)
That comb does the trick ( Hugs)

JIN said...

Eve I love this post...I think this is my favorite. I've probably said that more than once now, lol...but I really do enjoy reading your blog. You did a great job with the mirrors and I think you've inspired me to work on some DIY projects that I've been sitting on. I love that you used phots of women and their afro's because it is a challenge that I can relate to. I actually just posted about it...excuse me while I shape my afro as well :)

Have a beautiful day

PS: Glad you liked my video...the little girl is my niece...I know you said you won't do anymore videos but I hope you will do more :)

Tere said...

I love what you did with your mirror. And that is so cool about Nikia! I'll have to check out her blog.

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

That's so cool about Nikkia...brush with fame!! She is something fierce and so are you Ms Eve!! Love the mirror. It's like an inspiration/wish board and mirror all wrapped up in one!


-heather

waitingarms said...

Wow, you are creative! I do not have a single creative bone in my body, on some very rare occasions, I can come up with what I think is a brilliantly creative idea, but it never translates to the finished product. But, I so enjoy your creativity and live through you vacariously. I love what you did with the mirror.

Dana said...

Love the mirror and the spirit of the post.

Uma Preve said...

Hi Eve, great job with the mirrors! You got some cool ideas! Nice touch with the collage of pictures! Super duper cool!

Valencia said...

I LOVE the mirror. So powerful!!!

Debbie said...

You are so dang cute EVE!!~ I love what you did to the mirror! Very very cute and creative. Have a great weekend. Debbie

Christie said...

You are too funny, Eve!! Love the look...natural and just the way God made you you!

True beauty is found within you...your heart for Christ!

model liberation said...

EVE! I love this. When you told me about your inspiration mirror I had no idea what it would turn out like. Oh my! Keep doing what you do. You inspire me.

Laura Lofgreen said...

This reminds me of the good days when I had time to browse through magazines and cut out my favorite pictures. I'm sure this was like therapy in a way. Visit my cool Goodwill finds at www.mydeartrash.com.
Love the fro.

billiemonster said...

haha EVE I love your posts! Your mirror looks great and I think I might do something similar since I need a spot for my necklaces too. I'm loving the afro girl! Oh and ... what DID you do with the second mirror?

billiemonster said...

Eve I gave you a blog award!

~EssenseVibez~ said...

Eve, i'm so very proud of you sistah'---you are so inspiring gurl!!!---have a blessed weekend!!!

Colleen @ MuralMaker&More said...

It's stunning, Eve! What a great inspirational piece, for so many reasons. Just love it.

cheeky curves said...

That looks sensational, just love what you have done with the mirror

Nicole said...

Amazing post and what a great idea!! I love it! This was such a fun post. You're beautiful woman!!

Amandita said...

I love this idea... What a great inspiration collage.. love it =)

Faith said...

i dig this post so much! you are SO creative! the things you come up with amaze me! absolutely LOVE it! you are beautiful!

RenJac said...

Oh That looks GREAT!

Haupi said...

Eve! That was really a great read. I visited Nikia's blog and she is an amazing looking woman - as you yourself are! I love how you designed your mirror. It is too cute and wonderful inspiration - and not just for you either. Oh, and I love your mother's table (or mantel)...it's just lovely. Smiles

Haupi

SewSara said...

well aren't you fun?!
thanks for the comments on my blog ... i enjoyed stopping by and reading a bit about you :)

love the mirror... very cool :)

Rosalynn said...

Eve, that was such a lovely idea. I actually have some mirrors like that, and they are screaming to be changed. I may have to try your idea. Talk to you later.

C.R.A.F.T. said...

fun idea :) come on over and link up to MMM!

Scheryka Sews 41 said...

Hi, I came to your house because I was invited. Thank you. You are cool. And real...at least that's what I'm picking up. And real is good. Love your blog and I will be visiting your house more often now.

Hey ... I'm Lindsay ! said...

You are WAY too cool to be TOO funky! I love your creativeness in the frames, and I LOVE your "fro" ... you just keep being you, cause God made you perfect, and He don't make no junk! Have a blessed day my bloggin friend :)

Kimmie said...

U R 2 cute Eve...really.

Kimmie
mama to 8
one homemade and 7 adopte

SoChocolate said...

that's so great, i love the mirror project !

MOMSWEB said...

Wow. You are MORE than creative! The mirror is beautiful!

tea time and roses said...

Oh Eve you are such a talented writer! I love this post, just beautiful! You inspire me my friend:o) Nikia is beautiful and so is your mirror. How nice of her to give you permission to use her photo.

I remember a sweet sentiment I read said "A true friend will except you flaws, freckles, fat and all":o) How dull would it be if we were all the same. Each of us are designer originals, only one of its kind:o) It doesn't get any more special than that!

Again thanks for such a lovely and inspiring post. Enjoy a beautiful day.

Smiles....

Beverly

Eve said...

WOW... THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR WONDERFUL FEEDBACK REGARDING THIS CRAFT!

I'M SO HAPPY IT'S A SMASH HIT :D
I LOVE WAKING SEEING IT FIRST THING.

REALLY IMPORTANT: I DO WANT TO SAY THAT TRUE BEAUTY COMES FROM WITHIN- I'VE LEARNED THIS OVER MY 38 YEARS AND AM BLESSED TO TRULY BELIEVE THIS IN MY HEART.

WITH THAT SAID, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG ABOUT WANTING TO LOOK GOOD ON THE OUTSIDE TOO :D

BE WELL EVERYONE!
AND THANK YOU AGAIN!!

Cecily said...

What a great post, Eve! And the mirror turned out great. Thanks for all the sweet comments on my blog. Good luck on the giveaway!

Blake said...

Loving your posts. I found you on Friends Friday on Trendy Treehouse. Your projects are beautiful and so creative. Off to read more. :)

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

You look fabulous with your afro, you rock that mirror.

That's a great idea you came up with...hmmm, it's making my crafty head bubble with inspiration.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

ruthy ann said...

i'm so inspired eve! thanks for sharing your awesome creativity!

Marla said...

I love the mirror, Eve. The pics in front of it are hilarious! Who doesn't have a set of those, right? lol I know I do. I've been thinking about having my hair liberated of all the chemicals and go natural again. Last time I got too anxious 'cause it was not growing as fast as I wanted...

And that model... Soooo cute and exotic with them lil' freckles!! Kisses girlfriend and keep on doing the great job of being yourself!

Doreen McGettigan said...

What a truly inspiring post! You are a talented writer and a talented craftswoman. I just know I have an ugly old mirror around here somewhere and I have an idea! Thanks for inspiring and thank you for stopping by on Friday.
6 days; no cigarettes..lots of prayers..it is SO hard but I am determined.

LESAPEA MUSINGS said...

I love the mirror, you rock gurl. The model with the little white flower in her hair went to school with my hubby here in the Caribbean.

Great choices of pictures on the mirror.

Lisa xxoo

Haupi said...

On Thursday, September 2nd I gave you an award - so whenever you get back you come and pick it up...you'll find it on that date. I love the new look of your blog.
Hope you're happy and having fun.

Haupi

cheryl@scrapaddict4sure said...

wow I cant believe I just know found
a blogger not afraid to do there own thing. I love the idea of staying true to what interests you. I am a new follower)

Stan said...

i really like how you put that project together. Its practical, and is affirms you of your own beautiful images.

I need to make one with guys with locks

Lindy said...

Really cool mirror. Gorgeous! and what is that little corner of a dresser or something it's hanging over. Looks very interesting as well.

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

YOU GIRL!!!!! I am not hating on YOU!! This post just blew everything out of the water before! Talk about self esteem that so many of us need. How wonderful is the is project!!! Now I might have to take it and use it he he he he! Oh Eva, How fabulous darling!!! I love it. MORE, MORE, MORE!!!!!!! Please!
Hugs
V

Catch A Falling Star said...

Hi eve!
I found a link to your blog from http://www.billiemonster.com/blog. I came to read about the Dolly Donation but, this post stopped me. I think it's fantastic that you did this! So many woman complain about thier looks...this is enough inspiration to change quite a few minds.
Keep up the spirit!!

Pam said...

Eve, what an inspiring post! Hey, I want some of YOUR confidence too! Your mirror reflects what a beautiful lady you truly are; great job!!! Yeah! Pam

val said...

Hi Eve, Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your kind comments about Alfredo and Betina. I think Dolly Donations is just a great idea. I love decopatching - and especially coathangers. I have just done two more green ones as the other three went off to a friend. I am hoping to put some "how to" photos up on my blog next week .... so pop back!
I enjoyed looking around your part of blogland, USA and UK! and I do like your hair :0)
Have a good day!
Val xx Oxfordshire

agnes said...

très jolies photos

Rotterdam said...

UAAAAA,I LOVE THAT MIRROR,WANT ONE TOO.
Keep going sis,your afro is beautyful,love yourself just like God make you.
I love you Too

Michele said...

Eve, you rock that lovely afro hair! i think your mirror is just, well, COOL. good for you for embracing who you are. we should all do the same!

True Hearts Marriages said...

Eve....I am wearing my afro too!!! ouch...this is my first time visiting you and I love it, love it..I am going to follow you!!! Check me out at, "thmcovenant.blogspot.com" U-nspire me!! Penny

Dana said...

You are a lovely blog and I am giving you an award. Come to my blog to get it.

Monique said...

Wow that mirror is so creative. I discovered Nikia Phoenix ealier this past summer she is truly stunning.

Tinuke said...

Eve, this is amazing. You are truly beautiful, inspiring and talented. I love the mirror. What a cool idea.
I tagged you, pls check it out on my makeup blog

Deborah said...

This post made me smile...it made me want to go to a yard sale and find a mirror to transform :) Thank you for sharing your love for life and people.

Totally Inspired said...

That is a great mirror Eve. I gave you an award. Check my blog for details.
Mrs Hall In Training

Nasheikah said...

two words :
im inspired !

two more words:
im following !

two more words:
visit me !

peace ...and love ...that mirror is AMAZING !

Nasheikah said...

i love your table ...i got home and started clearing out my junk !!! i want to make that mirror !

OneMillionReasons said...

I love, love, LOVE your blog! I will visit often! You make me *SMILE*! Blessings to you!

Kyra said...

I LOVE what you've done with the Ebony magazine covers!!

Best, Kyra in the USA
PublishYourQuilts.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...