Tuesday, October 12

Midlife Crisis?

Hello fine folks! Firstly, I want to give a big THANK YOU to all of you who are still here at my blog!

This blog-break that I seem to be on wasn't intentional at all. I have been away from my computer so much because I'm battling a Midlife Crisis!!!!



What exactly is a Midlife Crisis?
(described by Wikipedia)

A period of dramatic self-doubt that is felt by some individuals in the "middle years" or middle age of life, as a result of sensing the passing of their own youth and the imminence of their old age.


Characteristics:  Individuals experiencing a midlife crisis have some of these feelings:
Search of an undefined dream or goal. (check)

A deep sense of remorse for goals not accomplished . (check)

Desire to achieve a feeling of youthfulness. (double check)

Need to spend more time alone or with certain peers. (not really)

 


They exhibit some of these behaviors:

Abuse of alcohol. (no, but chocolate has been calling my name) 

Acquisition of unusual or expensive items such as motorbikes, boats, clothing, sports cars, jewelry, gadgets, tattoos, piercings, etc. (Big Yes! Two pairs of glasses, expensive boots, wigs, make-up, etc.)

Depression (yes)

Blaming themselves for their failures. (yes)

Paying special attention to physical appearance such as covering baldness, wearing "younger" designer clothes etc. (yes- see above)

Entering relationships with younger people (either/or sexual, professional, parental, etc.) (no)

Placing over importance (and possibly a psychologically damaging amount) on their children to excel in areas such as sports, arts or academics. (If I had children, Yes!)

These women on the mag cover seem a bit older than I am, but maybe they are expected to live up into their 80's. I'll be glad if I could kiss 60, according to my family history. So my midlife is NOW!

You guys know what I look like, right? So what on earth am I doing with wigs, blue eye shadow and red square glasses??

I feel so drawn to personal aesthetics. I’ve never really felt this strongly about outwardly beauty at any other time in my life. It’s troubling me, and I’ve even mentioned this to my doctor, but she said it was a good thing and sent me on my Dolly Parton way.


It's really quite strange, suddenly having a midlife crisis at 39 when I’ve been really looking forward to turning 40 for the past 3 years. To me it seems 40 means no longer caring what other people think of you. Well, this is a really fine way of approaching that stage! Like getting speared by thorns before smelling the sweet roses.

But I will survive.
As for this blog, I'm fighting a very strong urge to turn everything red and black! (please don't leave if it happens. It's only a phase :D

I did something really cool today. Got myself a really pretty journal book and dedicated it to listing all that I’m thankful for. Hey, why don’t you join me? It’s a great way of documenting all that’s good in your life, and writing it down keeps it in mind. My first entry was about my husband, so thankful for him in my life. And my second was regarding my ratty washing machine. A girl doesn’t have to lug a wobbly-wheeled pushcart to the local laundromat and fight over whose got next on a coin guzzling, dirty washing and drying machine any more! YES!

And even if I did have to lug clothes to my local laundromat,


 I should still be thankful and think of these women, who
would be really grateful of such a luxury. I'm no better than they are.

Can you imagine how badly your back would be killing you after washing clothes like this? I know I personally have a lot to be thankful for.

So... is this Midlife Crisis just a bunch of hogwash? (check)
I'm hoping to grow out of it really soon. Frankly, aesthetics, and things and possessions and depression are tiny bits of escapism that can accumulate to turn one into a big unsatisfied mess.

I may not be a boxer, but I'm going to fight my way out of this one. My wigs and I are going to come out swinging!!!! hahaa

Stay tuned...

[photos from google images]

28 comments:

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

Hello Eve, I did wonder what had happened since you were not updating your blog. Times such as these are here to give us strength to continue on our life journey.
Of course one can wear a wig and nice lip and so forth.

That has nothing to do with wanting to change oneself - it's called being playful with oneself and creative with fashion, too.

Indeed washing clothes by hand is hard on the back - think of your washing machine - the sheer luxury of owning one. Of course you'll swan your way out of this mid-life crisis.

Am so glad you got yourself a pretty journal book - never underestimate the power of writing thoughts on paper.

As you mentioned you have a faithful husband - and one ought to be thankful for that - and I know you are!

Try and reduce your choclate intake if you can. Hugs

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

So nice to see you posting again!! I don't know what to tell you about the midlife crisis..I was so busy when I turned 40, I barely thought about it. Just enjoy it!!

Faith said...

WELCOME BACK DARLING!!!

I've been waiting for you!

You have a great attitude...before you know it, this will all be a funny memory!

And you are so right ... when you think about all that you have to be thankful for, you realize just how much you truly have been blessed!

Eve said...

Hiya FashionA&OF, thanks a lot, love the advice to stay away from the chocolate, heee. And I guess it is ok to be creative with fashion. I like that.

*********************

Hiya Heather, thanks for noticing my absence :D Hmmm, staying busy I suppose does give the luxury of not fretting over a mid life crisis. I possibly need to be more busy. But I'm drawing the line at playing Bingo.

Eve said...

Hiya Faith, thanks so much! I'm counting on this being a funny memory :D Thanks for sticking around, and I'll be at your blog soon!

janimal said...

Sounds like you have a healthy attitude to me. Have a GOOD time with your midlife crisis wigs and boots!
I love your perspective on women around the World. We are SO lucky and it's easy to take our conveniences for granted.

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

I've missed you too. Why does it have to be a midlife crisis...why can't it be a midlife celebration? I might be having one too. Speaking of wigs, I bought a blonde one last week. My husband says I look like a high-priced hooker. That was cool with me because I certainly didn't want to look like a low-priced hooker ;-))

waitingarms said...

Glad to see you blogging again. I love that you are still able to find humor even when you are feeling the blues. Please post pictures of you styling in your new boots and the new hair do!

Blessings.

Angela said...

Welcome back Eve!
I know for sure that my clothes would not get washed if I had to do them by hand!
Sometimes we all need a little break in life and "treats" (shoes, wigs, blue eye shadow (really???!) ) helps us remind ourselves we are special and full of worth!!
Have a great day

Christie said...

So glad your back!!! Thanks for catching up on my blog, too!

Praying for you!

Michele Pacey said...

Go Eve, fight fight fight! I'm very glad to see you back here too!

The idea of the gratitude book is a great one. It keeps you focussed on the positive stuff which is the kind of energy you want to be surrounded by as much as possible. And every time you look at it and add to it, you'll only enhance those good feelings, I think. I don't have a gratitude book but I do keep a journal of Good Ideas. Every time I open that thing it feels good and makes me smile.

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

Hi Eve
I'm so glad you're back to posting again, it's the only way we know how you're doing, and it looks like you're not doing so well.

I'm so sorry you are going through a depression, but I'm really glad you are seeing a doctor because I want you to be well.

There are a lot of things to be thankful for and it's good to write them down as it reminds us of all the positive things and people in our lives.

I don't see anything wrong with wanting to look good and being concerned of your image. I've been that way since I was a little girl. I have worn makeup since the age of ten lip gloss and eye shadow. It's all in taste and different taste for different people. Maybe you outgrew the blue eyeshadow and it's okay.

As we age, our likes and dislikes change as well.

I hope you start to feel better soon, you are such a happy person, it's unlike you to be depressed. But, I understand because a very close friend of mine is going through depression too.

Monique said...

Hi Eve I strongly believe that this too shall pass. I think the most important part of what your experiencing is your awareness. You are in it and also on the outside looking and and wondering...Who is this person...this is not me. Which is what will bring you back to your true self.

cheeky curves said...

Hi Eve, You sound like a real fighter and I am sure you will get through it. You have a positive attitude and thats got to be the first step to beating the blues

Sheila said...

So glad to see you back! One day at a time, honey!

Cathy said...

Hello! Welcome back to the world of blogging!

I think it's natural to have times when life feels a bit meaningless.

Hope you're feeling cheery soon!

Carrie P. said...

Hi Eve,
This too shall pass. You will be fine. I have been writing in a journal things that I am thankful for during the last month. I try to write at least 10 things each day. Sometimes I can do it, other times I forget.
But I know who my provider is. Blessings!
Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Kathryn said...

So glad you're back in the blog world, Eve!

Sorry to hear that life has got you down, but it sounds like you're pulling through. My prayers are with you!

1 Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.

Tinuke said...

Hey Eve, you sound strong already. This is just a phase, you will get trhu it. Love your idea of documenting the positive things in your life. And yes, put on that makeup. if it makes you feel good , go for it. There is nothing wrong with that.

Have you heard that "age 40 is the new 20"?

Eve said...

Thank you guys so much for all the encouragement!!! I shall post a picture of my new look soonish.

ALL THE BEST EVERYONE!!

Dana said...

Glad you are back and hope get better soon for you.

billiemonster said...

Welcome back Eve! I've been missing you and wondering where you went! So glad you're back.

You know, we all go through tough times. I think it's just part of human nature, no matter what your circumstances may be. Like my mom says, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. You're going to be ok - this is a fact!

Lotsa luv.

~ www.billiemonster.com ~

ANTM T-Shirt Designs And More said...

I'm new to your beautiful blog! We all go through mid life interruptions as I call it. I think I go through it once a year!! Hang in there sweetie!

Dee Dee

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

you'll think I'm mad.... but I know a song about that. Written by a dear friend of mine who was a folk artist and passed away some years ago now.

Lets say he had a very warped sense of humour sometimes - but his song was VERY funny.

He had one song used and recorded by a band - but his other stuff was pretty much unknown. He lived a very sad life with a sadder end.

Saying that - his songs can always make me smile - even now. I have a very scratchy sounding cassette tape with a recording of the one I'm thinking off.

I remember most of the lyrics... .but if I can try to write them all down and put the recording on to another format I will. It'll make you laugh your boots off. Chin up gal x

Dee O. said...

Times can be hard, but you CAN and WILL pull out of whatever is trying to hold you down!!! Just have faith in yourself & stay strong :)

That GOOD GOOD Blog

KateB said...

am new to your blog and just lurking around, reading...I soooo get what you are saying and all I can say is,keep doing your thing...some days it sucks and other days are simply amazing...I think I could have a mid life crisis if I had some money! I'm just trying to stay grounded, trying to make sure to be more thankful for the small stuff cause I know there's always somebody who has it way worse than I do. As long as we all try right???

KateB said...

ps-thank goodness we have crafting as our form of escapism!!

Stephanie said...

Glad you are back and I hope you are feeling better soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...